Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Guerlain Insolence Eau de Parfum


Admittedly it took some effort for me to like violet scents. And, even now, I prefer the edgy violet fragrances, those “dirty violets” like Ava Luxe Midnight Violet, Creed Love in Black, Comme des Garcons + Stephen Jones and Soivohle’ Domino Viole. There’s just something too pretty and overly girly about most classic violet fragrances for me. When I wear Guerlain’s L’Heure Bleue or Borsari Violetta di Parma I feel like I should be wearing a gingham jumper dress and pig tails.

In 2006 Guerlain Insolence EDT arrived on the scene. Insolence EDT caught my attention – even though it isn’t an edgy violet – it’s an undeniably pretty and fruity violet scent. I bought a bottle of Insolence EDT, and I like it, but don’t wear it very often.

Then, in 2007, along came My Insolence. This one makes me gag. The only day I wore My Insolence I wanted to crawl out of my skin by 12 noon.

Guerlain saved the best Insolence for last. Hitting the stores now in the U.S. is Guerlain Insolence EDP. Somehow the EDP manages to be stunningly beautiful yet not too girly or innocent. Insolence EDP is violets in flashing neon lights. It’s violets on crack or steroids – it’s a 50 foot violet plant. It’s so aggressively violet-y that it refuses to be simply pretty. This is not a soft wallflower violet; this is an attention getting scent. The main difference between Insolence EDT and EDP is that the EDP is much stronger and so much more intensely violet-y, that when I compare them side-by-side the EDT hardly even smells like violets anymore. The most delightful part for me is that while Insolence EDP is a sweet candied violet scent for sure, it’s still not too sweet, it’s entirely wearable.

Why am I not surprised that it took Guerlain and Maurice Roucel to create the perfect pretty violet for me?

Longevity: Days
Sillage: Strong, one or two sprays will do it
Rating: 5 Stars, I love it

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the EDP is much 'creamier' than the EDT. I'm certain there's a lot more Iris. It's smooth, and is definitely sexier and better for catching attention.
..I'm absolutely enamoured with Insolence.

Abigail said...

Nick,

Me, too. I've been wearing it for 3 straight days -- which says a lot! I think it's also a perfect scent for these past few really frigid days of winter.

Yes, you're right, the edp is more than simply violet-ier -- it's richer, creamier, deeper and oh-so-much-better. From what I've read there *is* much more iris in it as well.

I'm smitten....

Scent Hive said...

hmmmm, creamy with more iris? must give this a chance!

krnszn said...

OMG! Where did you find this? I've been waiting for it to release in the U.S. and haven't heard a word. So...is it really available now? I haven't seen it anywhere...thanks!

Abigail said...

Karin,

Yup, it's here in the U.S. now.

Some Sephora stores already have it, Nordstroms has it, and there have been sightings elsewhere...

krnszn said...

Awesome! Thanks, Abigail!

krnszn said...

OK. I'm so impatient. I've looked for this everywhere. It hasn't shown up online at all. I was at the Sephora in Burlington, MA, and they said it doesn't show up in their product list at all. The saleswoman actually suggested that perhaps people are purchasing it in Europe and returning it in the U.S. - that's why there are bottles showing up in other shops. Guerlain isn't able to tell me when it will "officially" release in the U.S. Argghh! I'm stuck up here in Maine, too. ha ha. Oh well! To those of you who've found it, consider yourselves lucky! For me, I guess I just have to wait awhile longer. :-)

Abigail said...

Karin,

A perfumista in need!

How's this - I just found it on Ebay - and I can vouch for this seller - I've purchased from him/her before and have been completely satisfied.

Maybe give this a shot? Good luck :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/INSOLENCE-GUERLAIN-EDP-Perfume-3-4-oz-Sealed_W0QQitemZ270335683504QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29605QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

krnszn said...

Thanks, Abigail! The photo shows the EDT, though...hmmm...I'll check it out. Have a wonderful weekend!

Abigail said...

Karin,
That is so strange. I kid you not, the photo was the EDP yesterday. Hmmmm. You could contact the seller first and have him/her guarantee that it's the EDP... the photo below is the EDP.

krnszn said...

Abigail - SCORE! I just called Bergdorf's and they carry it, but it's currently out of stock. She's going to call me when they get it...and ship it to me. :-) Thanks again so much for your help.

Abigail said...

Karin,
Congratulations! Make sure to tell us when you receive it and if you're weak in the knees and swooning all over town.. :-)

ella said...

Today, I was on this perfume sale organised by one of the department stores here called "Metrojaya" and from all the perfumes they sell, Guerlain Insolence EDP attacts me.
Never heard of this perfume before, but I bought it (100ml). Came back and do some googling for the price, and reviews.
I think I've made the right choice of buying it.
FYI, I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and got this for MYR120 for 100ml (approximately US$33).
(still can't believe I got this very cheap!)

Abigail said...

Dear Ella,

$33 is amazing! I'm jealous.

It's such a beautiful fragrance. It's so potent and reminds me of the color purple - I know the juice and bottle are purple but it seems to smell like the color purple...

Enjoy it :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I recently got it, but it is so soft, so soft, that I can barely smell it at first. It begins to develop within a few minutes, but it is not overpowering or cloying. I wonder if I got a fake? But I got if at a department store. I've read comments about how strong it was and how dangerous, but for me it is one of the most subtle fragrances I have used, I smell the violets, iris and it feels warm. Am I getting the wrong impression? Thanks!